Monday, July 28, 2014

Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination Against Women


Oregon's Senator Jeff Merkley


 





Dear Kini,
 
Thank you for contacting me to share your support for the Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.  I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. 
 
I am a strong advocate of supporting women's rights both at home and abroad. To that end, I have introduced legislation to make sure employers accommodate nursing moms and helped write legislation to increase the minimum wage and extend the expired Emergency Unemployment Compensation program, both of which would especially benefit women. In addition, I have fought against attempts to deny women the right to make their own health care decisions free from their employer's personal beliefs. Furthermore, I cosponsored the International Violence Against Women Act, which would make ending violence against women a U.S. foreign policy priority.  
 
The recurring violence and discrimination against women is an issue we cannot afford to ignore. It's clear that when women are given opportunities to succeed, the well-being of their families and communities increases as well. That is why I believe the United States has a moral obligation to advance the rights of women worldwide.  Please know that I will continue to advocate for the safety and rights of women and girls. 

I will keep your views in mind if the Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination Against Women comes up for a vote in the Senate. Thank you again for contacting me. I hope you will continue to share with me the issues that matter most to you.
 
All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

No comments: